Ok, so I’ve made a medium size pull-down apex and it worked so well I thought I’d scale it down a bit – to a little bigger than a dinner plate.

I made a rough which deployed quite nicely in the lounge one night.

Then I got to thinking about a mass deployment of the little parachutes.

So I got cutting.

These are made from Porcher paraglider fabric. Lovely light stuff but very crispy.

At this point you can mix them around and choose the colour scheme for each parachute.

Six mini-PDA parachutes ready for the centre hole to be cut with a soldering iron and the lines attaching.

Here’s a close-up of the orange one.

  • The lines are dacron black and they are stitched onto the seams
  • Because the apex or crown of the parachute is lower than the surrounding fabric, it is not a suitable shape for balloon recovery. Removing the centre pull-down line changes this – so you can always omit the middle line and use it that way.

** Update **

These have proved to be absolute stars. They are really efficient and fly well with or without the apex or central line.